This recipe will give you the best rice for any meal. Every. Single. Time. All you need is a pot with a tight fitting lid, rice, salt and water. Oh, and a stove. Rice can be intimidating to some as it is easy to mess up. We want to make it something that you do second nature and people will ask you how you make it so well.
- 1 cup of Jasmin or Basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, or any neutral oil you have
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Put your medium sized pot on the stove, add oil and rice to the pot and turn the heat on to medium-high (6.5 on an electric stove).
2. Toast the rice for 3-4 minutes or until it becomes fragrant and the rice begins to get a little bit of colour on it.
3. Add the salt to the pan and stir. Add the water to the pan and stir 3 times before putting the lid on.
4. Allow the rice to boil for 1 minute and then turn the heat off, leaving the rice on the burner for 20 minutes to allow to cook through.
5. After 20 minutes has elapsed, take off the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Put the lid back on until you are ready to serve it with whatever dish you are making.